Sunday, May 22, 2011

Because Woman Can Not Live on Cake Pops Alone...

and sometimes you just need a Sabbath.

I decided to play hooky from church this morning.  After a weekend of celebrating, cake-popping, weeding, and report carding, I truly just needed some me time.  As the wife of a man who doesn't have the option of sitting around in his comfies on a Sunday morning (the Reformed church seems to frown upon faded Hope College sweatpants in the pulpit: weird.) this is not something that I'm typically able to do without guilt (self-imposed, of course) and explanation.  Today, however, I am armed and ready.  I sent Tim off this morning with a message for any blue haired lady who asks after his beautiful bride: "She's been raptured, obviously.  Why are you still here?"

All joking aside, it does feel strange to be in an empty house on a sunny Sunday morning - but I am taking full advantage of it.  This little experiment of a breakfast turned out to be one of the best things I have ever eaten. I couldn't wait to share the recipe with the one devoted follower who actually subscribes to this blog (coincidentally, he's also the one at church...but not in sweatpants).  Anyway, try this.  You'll love it.

Poatmeal Pancake - Vegan and Gluten Free

Ingredients:
*1/4 cup certified gluten free oats  (if you're not GF, feel free to use Quaker but please don't brag to me about how your oats are 1/4 of the price of mine)
*1/4 cup canned organic pumpkin
*1 flax egg  (1 T flax meal mixed with 2 T warm water - let sit for 5 minutes until thick)
*1 t baking powder
*1 t cinnamon
*1 t pure vanilla extract

*Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl. 
*Pour onto hot griddle or pan. 
*Top with whatever toppings your heart desires  (mine happens to always desire
b-a-n-a-n-a-s, freshly ground almond butter, and unsulphured/unsweetened coconut chips)
*Eat it like a pancake!

 Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Allie! I completely agree with you...sometimes you just need a sabbath! That's what we are doing too...sitting in sweats, drinking coffee and enjoying the limited Seattle sun. Hope you are doing well :) And, your treats look amazing!

    ReplyDelete